View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
fullthrottle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
fullthrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Easy on all that motivation phlip. You don't get discounts on anything and you are away from you're family regardless of being deployed or not. That steady pay check is enough to make it to the next paycheck. It's only cool to be in the marines if you aren't a marine or you're on leave. You can't plan on doing anything in your free time because you will likely have duty or a formation that wasn't scheduled. There's no such thing as staying home sick. Your room is smaller than a hotel room and you share it with 2-3 other people that come from low income homes and don't know what hygiene is or how to pickup after themselves. Your room is subject to be searched and often is as if you are a felon in prison not serving your country. You can't own anything nice because it will be stolen eventually. The laundry machines don't work and the one that does is always full because literally 40 people are sharing it. It's better than being homeless I suppose. Also if you stay in for 20 years you get half of your pay for the rest of your life which isn't enough to sustain your lifestyle and family so you have to work at mcdonalds because you don't have an education from college because although you can attend college for free your commander has to sign off on it meaning that sometimes you will be missing training because of class. So they turned down 14 out of 15 of us who signed up. The one that got to attend college for one semester was a pregnant chick who seemed to become pregnant right before each deployment. The best thing that came out of the marines for me was that I learned good work ethic and the gi bill is absolutely amazing. School completely paid for plus 1200 a month for housing.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote