View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #51
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (26)
S14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to all
Last time I gave you guys an update I posted pictures of the subframes after they were powder coated... Well, going back a step I wanted to show everyone how I removed the bushings. Now there is probably a good chance most of you have seen this before on here or some other thread but for you new comers here ya go...

For removing the differential bushings you first want to burn/cut the centers out. Save these, you will need them if you use the Energy Suspension Bushings like I did. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of that but this is what you should have after you clean the centers out.

You should now be able to see a sleeve such as this.

Then I took a reciprocating saw and started carefully cutting into the sleeve.

When you get almost completely through, stop and then take a chisel and start to pry around the sleeve.

Eventually you will be able to break the metal sleeve and start overlapping the two sides. Then I slowly started working the sleeve out.

Done!

After the sleeves are removed you can then take a wire wheel and clean them up.

Energy Suspension Diff bushing set.

Going back to the centers you cut out, set fire to them and burn the remaining rubber off them. This is the inner sleeve that you will need.

The new bushings were then pressed in using a clamp and pieces of plywood.

The same process is used for the main subframe bushings too.

Sorry for all jumping around but while we were working on the subframes, we've also been prepping and painting the engine bay. I posted up a picture of the bay primed a while back but now we started to add some color! I didn't want to do anything too crazy so I kept it simple and choose to go with the OEM wk0 color (pearl white). It's a 3-stage pearl job so, first was to lay down the base, then the pearlescent, and finally a clear. I also planned to repaint under the hood and the kouki sideskirts I had gotten way back when.

After the bay got primed we then wet-sanded it until it was all smooth.

After we hit it with wax and grease remover and a tact cloth, we started spraying using a HVLP gun.

Heres the first coat of base.