View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Hayaku Kenji
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Hayaku Kenji is on a distinguished road
!!--Sr: Idle and rough running help--!!

Background- I have been building a s13 with a s13 blacktop SR, I got the motor in only to find out it had a blown head gasket. So I pulled the motor and had the head inspected to find out it had signs of detonation. So I full rebuilt the motor. New OEM pistons new bearings, 1.5 Apexi metal head gasket and rebuilt (stock spec) head.

Got the motor back and started to rebuild. For the timing chain The motor was on TDC and the "sprocket" notch on the crank for the timing chain was at about 4 or 5 o'clock. I put the two top colored timing chain links to the notches on the cam sprockets, and the bottom one on the notch on the "sprocket" on the crank. Got everything else back on, put the motor in. At first it would not start even with starter fluid. Come to find out it needed another ground for the intake manifold. Added that ground and now it starts every time.

Problem- The motor will start and rev up like normal but will immediately die, unless I rev it. Also if I keep the motor alive at about 1,000rpm, It runs rough as crap, as if it was not running on all cylinders. It gets smoother at higher rpms (have not rev'd past 3,000). Is this sign of a not correctly set CAS? We really believe it is timing. However, we do not know how to go about it. I have numerously taken out and "set" the CAS. I do not know if I am a tooth off or not.

The motor is getting fuel. All the spark plugs are firing, with good spark. The TPS is set at .45 volts. When setting the CAS I set the motor to TDC on the compression stroke and align the CAS notch, to the right notch then put it in.

Please help me I really want this car running :'(
Hayaku Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links