View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Aaj2k5
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Aaj2k5 is an unknown quantity at this point
A buddy hooked me up with a E36 M3 Dash, centre console, glovebox, trim etc.. Will need a tiny bit of trimming obviously, but is almost the same curve and width as S30. E46 M3 Cluster looks alot nicer, so i'll probably end up going for it.

Started hacking the E36 dash with a dremel + sawblade.

Thinking about taking off these drip trays - i think it'll look hell of a lot better.. thoughts?

If someone wants a FG S30 replica to start off of you can have it for a doubledouble .

The black 240z has a roughly similar end product as what I want, however mine will be a fair bit wider. Talks with Weirtech about a cage for the Z similar to this, but with adjusments to meet spec here:

Good news is that I bought a ZEDD Findings floor kit which is perfect as I am lifting the floors 1 3/4" to 2", as they sit below the rockers, and would scrape like nobody's business. I need to fab up my own GTR subframe mount and will probably make my own floor rails as the ZEDD findings ones are just bent 18ga sheet. After major components are fabbed up, I will take the car on rotisserie to nearest Line-X and spray the entire bottom - stiffens the hell out of it, sound deadens, as well as the obvious rust proofing bonus..

My new friend.

After grinding:

After primer;

Cleaned up and painted the Z32 5 lug and BNR34 knuckles.

Also kept busy lifting my daily - this is beside a stocker. 3" IRO lift which lifted it 4.375" all around before sag and is at about 4.25" after 2 weeks.

Here's some more-

Beforish:

After a couple hours:

Started cutting off all those annoying clip things.

Bought one of these: Q45 90mm throttle body + tps.

I should probably apologize somewhere in the thread for taking all pics with my iPhone - not the greatest quality.

Also, subframe is sandblasted just needs to get picked up and slapped on, so I can start on S13 coilover conversion on S14 arms..

My wallet hates me.

Soo the only reason I was using the M3 E36 dash was because a stock one cost a fortune in good shape. Until I met an old guy who lives a few streets over from me and he hooked me up.

'72 240Z Dash - professionally restored
Heater center vent
Centre Console
All necessary tubing
BNIB dash side vents
Glove box
Dash to windshield trim
Dash harness (not needed I'm doing new gauges throughout)
Tail light finisher pieces

Enough speak, more pics.

Also started fitting the S14 suspension

And fabbed up some arms to hold the front on rotisserie.

Soo I got an email from the guy that I bought my dash from about a hood for sale out in Brantford. I headed out there after work and met Chris and Rob - couple of bro's that have a pair of Datsun Z cars - one of them RB swapped. Cool dudes - sold me this hood for $50 :O

Then I got to work on the front half of the rotisserie - s'all done. The rear half will be done up on Tuesday.

Soo Tim is pretty good at photochop and made this for me.

I'm a fan. This will happen + spoiler + black window trim - headlight covers.

Joe came over last night and we talked about expensive things..

1) 4-6 point cage, X bar tied into the rear R34 Subframe mount, 2 to strut towers, harness bars across. Tucked to cnt-hairs width from the roof and sides.
2) R34 rear subframe mount.
3) Fender brace that runs along the dogleg and around tucked to upper rad support and back around the other side (Beginnings of a tube front end).

Cage looks a lot like this..

And rear subframe mounted alot like this:

PIG ROAST!!

Finally got off my ass and finished the rotisserie.

Rear welds are fairly solid.

Need to bolt the arms to the T-bar before I try spinning it lol.

For those who care.

Almost *THEORETICALLY* have it figured out how to rock a fully counterweighted crank in a KA block with KA piston.

Rod is out of a Ford 5.4 Modular Motor, longer rod than a KA by about 5mm. Bushings need to be drilled out or replaced, or the KA piston needs a 22mm pin instead of it's 21mm. Crankshaft is a L20B/Z20E/Z20S U60 casting.

The other options I have listed include a Toyota Celica 20R 90mm Piston with various rods that will work - LS1, Viper V10, Ford w/ Chevy Pin, but I would like to try it with the KA piston first.

Braaap.

In due time, after some paychecks, I'll make this happen and post up how it is.

Had an hour or so to work on er tonight..
Also had a package come in the mail. I <3 when that happens. Todays xmas present was a Q45 90mm throttle body+tps (thx godrifttoday)

Couple of comparison shots with a stock KA ~60mm tb..

Bolted er up.

Spun er right round.

Primered er up.

Including my freshly blasted subframe..

Most productive hour of my day

Had a few hours to work on the Z (I need a good name for her)..

Started with one of these..

Drilled a crapload of holes..

Cleaned the bish.

Primed a bit

Also, bought one of these to complete my modernized suspension - JDM S14 swaybar 27mm w/ JDM S14 TC brackets. Also doubles as a rad mount and I can now order S14 sizes with install ease.. Not bad for $45 lol.

Might work on er again tonight and see how far I gets

Sorry for the delay boys..

My co-op term ended so I took the gf to Santa Maria, Cuba to celebrate. Things got silly and we had drinking team tshirts made up for the group lol.

Did a bit more cleaning up on the underside the day I got back.

Aaj2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote