View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
The orange, motor-eating, idiotic drift turd.

Sup nerds.
My first build thread in a long time, probably should be called a "life-build thread." Just skip to the pics if you want.

I bought my first S13 in 2001 and swapped to an SR in late 2002. I loved that car and every minute in it. Drove it all over, did tons of events and a couple of amateur comps in 2003 & 2004 and just generally had a blast being awesome.

By 2005, I was reaching that point where you have most of the parts that you can have without doing a full rebuild. It needed a cage, aero, paint, a power boost and most of all - to stop being daily driven, and I just couldn't afford it then.

I was living in SoCal but kinda far away; not near any of the shops or events. In 2005 I took a job in Anaheim and moved to OC. I had worked there for 2 months and was working an overnight shift when I heard a bunch of banging outside that I thought was someone breaking into the building. Turns out someone had been walking down the street at like 4AM with a crowbar bashing up anyones car they came across. They got basically every panel and window on my car, but didn't take anything.

So I parted it out, insurance took the car and I took a break. Bought a 6MT G35 Sedan, did some partying, finished college and worked on my career.

In early 2010, I decided I was getting bored driving my expensive G and wanted to get back into the game. Created a new account here and started getting caught up again. Searched for a while and in June, I found a real clean & stock 89 hatchback and bought it. Fixed the basic stuff and drove it while I was trying to sell my G. It took a couple months, but the G sold and I had a bunch of money to spend on the 240.

Not so fast. I sold the car on a Tuesday - that Saturday, my landlord told me she was converting the garage into storage again. Considering I had rented this place because of the garage, this was a huge problem. So I shelved my plans yet again and started looking for a house to buy. Luckily I found one pretty quickly and by January, I had closed escrow and moved in.

Buying a house costs a lot of money, so I just saved and saved until my July bonus, then started spending. First, I bought my truck so I could daily drive /tow, and a bunch of tools and storage for my garage. Then I started placing my orders. Bought about about 100 different items from Phase2, some PBM stuff and a few more things from Driftspeed and FRSport.

So While I waited for all that crap to come in, I started drifting my 240. I did the BARE MINIMUM - welded diff, bucket seat, steering wheel and drift knob. I wanted to see how I could do with a near stock setup - had a lot of fun, but the limitations are clear. Stock sucks.

Last track day @ Adam's
Adam's visit #3 - Dash Cam 1 - YouTube
Adam's visit #3 - Dash Cam 2 - YouTube

My parts have been trickling in and my SR came in last week, so I've turned my attention to getting the chassis ready. Plans are to make it a track-only car. The KA is out and sold, and I've removed just about everything unnecessary - no AC/heater, vents, radio, horns, cruise control, etc. - all gone. Going to strip down the wiring, finish removing the sound deadening, paint the engine bay and then start putting everything back together.

This is going to be a pretty much bolt-on build - I don't know how to weld or fab, I don't really know anyone I'd trust to do a bunch of custom fab and even if I did, it would probably be too loud to do it in my garage. I'll get into all the custom fab stuff later

I'll update the thread as I go - shooting for Feb / March to have it running. For sure needs to be drivable for ASB this year. These are the most current, though I have gotten a little further since.

I'll add some more pics of the various sub-projects as I go along. Lots more pics and information available now on my blog @ Give Me Shred

Last edited by ryandriftingfat; 04-22-2016 at 10:13 AM..
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links