View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #8809
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
do it when the engine is cold
take your time

it usually doesn't snap, for me at least, and i've taken my manifold off about 4 times already. Stock engine, 91 status, didn't break anything the first time.

When you put em back, antiseize if you want
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I personally like to spray them with PBlaster the day before. Drive it around, get it warm. Then after driving, spray them again while it's warm as it will help suck the PBlaster into the rust and penetrate more.

Then the day of, spray them again, get it warm (not totally hot, just warm it up until the manifold is almost too hot to touch. Then quickly break all of the nuts loose while it's warm. If you can, keep going, but if not you at least have the initial bond broke. I've always had good luck with them being warm as it helps expand the threads a little, making it easier to remove. The PBlaster helps too as it penetrates/eats rust to a degree.

Doing it cold can work, but I've broken way to many studs when I was younger on 5.0's to risk it on anything again, especially one with aluminum heads.
thanks for the tips fellas

looks like i got my weekend project cut out for me
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote