Thread: E85 thread
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #104
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been using e85 for some years in a CA18DET now. Using nistune to set it, walbro 255, T28R, S14 maf and 510cc mistu injectors. Also running a 3bar sr20det FPR (ca18 is 2.5)

What can i say?

1/ 510cc are maxed at 1bar (15psi) boost. I think i will be installing ID1000. Yet it is producing around 300hp.

2/ never had a problem, but you need to monitor AFR all the time and be ready to remap on the fly. Dont worry about converting 14.7:1 to 9:1, your wideband does it for you : it is measuring lambda then converting, so will always show 14.7 when stoeich, wether you use e85 or regular fuel. This being said, you run 10:1 with regular fuel at WOT, but 12:1 is well enough with e85 (again, i am talking about the reading. I know it is not 12:1, i guess it is near 7 or 8:1, but your gauge WILL SHOW 12:1)

3/ DONT use e85 without a proper remap. Fuel is one thing, timing is another. You can add tons of ignition advance before and after peak VE efficiency, but not there. Which means you cant just turn the distributor cap, or align the CAS on 18° instead of 15. That wont work. It really needs proper timing, otherwise performance will be poo and the car may overheat.

3.5/ for the exact same reason, DONT make your e85 mix. And there is another one : regular pump fuel and e85 do not really mix together, they are bonded by additives in e85 fuel. Mixing means you may run pump alternatively pump fuel, and ethanol at another time.

You will answer "people do it and they have no problem", which is somewhat right. They do it, and dont have knock, EGT nor AFR sensors so dont see the problem. Which is different. Or they really dont have the problem, but dont have performance engines. TBH i use a 40% mix in my daily car. But then i bought if for 100€, so i dont care if it breaks.

4/ i have not seen problems on rubber, except a set of injector gaskets. I had "green ones", which died fast. Got "black ones", no problem.

5/ go high compression ... i never heard a CA running e85 knock. Never. Even when running standard comp pistons, 1.2mm headgasket (which is standard), skimmed bloc and head, and 2bar boost (30psi).

I am venting my catch can to atmosphere, and it did not catch fire either. Maybe i am just lucky ... will double check that though.

considering johnny_K question, i dont know the KA setup ... but i know 370cc are the oem size for a ca18det, and that it is maxed at regular pump with 15psi of boost.

bit of personal advice there, dont get an adjustable FPR, most are shitty unaccurate parts, unless you pay 80+$ for them. Just get bigger injectors from a known manufacturer. No "modified or redrilled" ones (might as well dump your money in a bin).
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote