View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #88
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by milk_with_pulp View Post
Toby,

Upgrading 1998 240sx Ground/Power. AKA Big 3 Upgrade.
Currently the wires are stock and have read information about upgrading Alternator Wire, Chassis Ground, Engine Block Ground to improve audio performance.

What type of Battery Terminals to use for the wire
What type of cable/wire
What gauge do you suggest
What points would you recommend to upgrade

Looking for a distributor that would sell terminals that are worth while, I see many cheap terminals and some which are extremely expensive to connect the wires to a battery, most seem to be a rip off where people buy for the hype.

From my few years in wiring homes, I know of gauges for wiring, curious though as I see some recommending 2 gauge/ 0 gauge for these grounding points. The wire is extremely stiff and was wondering what you recommend.

Also, would ask for any suggestions on antennas for a Nissan to replace the long antennas, it was a fixed antenna non powered and would like something small, less of an eyesore.

Any help and information is appreciated and do you suggest any forums for car audio that you frequently visit or read for information?
I use IXOS for my really nice wiring/connector product and also some Stinger product. There is a HUGE difference quality of wire. Most of the car audio power cable out there is not solid copper. And anything that is cheap in price probably uses the Chinese system for rating the gauge. I have some 4 gauge Walmart/Ebay brand power wire at the shop that is smaller than my IXOS 8 gauge wire I sell. Even IXOS's GT series power cable is twice the weight of their lower line power wire... same length, same gauge, same strand count. One is solid copper and one is copper clad. So for that very reason the XIOS 100 series 4 gauge for example will support 650 watts. While their 400 series 4 gauge will support 1400 watts... there's that big of a difference. I would hate to even guess what the Ebay 4 gauge will support

As for the wire being flexible are you talking about home wire? Because you absolutely cannot use AC power wire for 12 volts. For what it's worth my IXOS 4 gauge you can take and wrap around your pinky.

So you will want to upgrade the power cable from your alternator to the battery. Gauge will depend on what gauge you are running from the battery to the amplifier(s). If you are running 1/0 gauge to the amplifier(s) then you obviously want to run at least that big from the alternator to the battery. Same with ground... upgrade the battery ground to the chassis and block ground to the chassis.

As for the antenna, any length other than the standard 32"(which is 1/4 of a wavelength) will decrease reception.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote