View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Wastegate sizing is funny. If you're running big boost you can get away with a smaller wastegate, as you're putting most energy through the turbo itself. If you're running smaller boost you would want a larger gate, as it helps vent more pressure and has more control.

In theory, a larger gate typically works better than a smaller gate on a normal street car that isn't running huge boost all the time...but in the same regard, that does not me the smaller gate won't work equally either.

I'm really fraekin hoping to. Deihl now rents the garage to another company so I'm still working the logistics out of it all. I'll let ya know.
if you run too large of a wastegate you can drop a few psi when it opens. this is because a 38mm hole with the diaphragm open 1/8 of an inch will move much less air than a 44mm hole open the same 1/8 inch. if the wastegate diaphragm has a minimum movement of 1/8 of an inch; but will pass too much gas at that lift (38mm vs 44mm hole) to keep the boost level steady, the wastegate is too big. if the wastegate hole is too small boost will overshoot the target boost. this is where the high boost low boost small gate big gate come in.

just to add, i run a 38mm at 18 psi and still see a small drop in psi when the gate opens.
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote