Thread: S13 hatch build
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Dylan22

Trader Rating: (0)
Dylan22 is an unknown quantity at this point
S13 hatch build

This will be the build thread for my type-x converted, SR20DET + 5 speed swapped s13!

Anyways, I am 21 and I live in Ontario, Canada. Peterborough to be exact for anyone else in Ont. I bought this hatch as my first car 2 years ago now for 3500 bucks, it was on Tien springs and the XD9's and it was unfortunately automatic. I honestly didn't know much about the mechanical part of cars but I went through high school loving s13's. So I guess I will fill you in on the last 2 years.

This would be the day I bought it in March 2011.

First purchase were Megan track spec coils because one of the front struts was on its was out.

Didn't put a whole lot of money into the car the first summer. Took it to a few autocross events and avoided tickets so my insurance wouldn't be unaffordable. Unfortunately at the end of the year I smashed my oil pan, knocked off my oil pick up from the engine and partially starved the engine. It was in October so I had all winter to start to learn about the more mechanical aspect of cars. I looked into making a Ka-t but couldn't afford to do it properly so I went to Toronto and bought a blacktop SR with a 5 speed transmission as well.

Lifeless KA out

[IMG]
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/422973_10150623953116075_343939644_n.jpg[/IMG]

I also picked up a few odds and ends for the car during the winter and got a new steering wheel/hub for my birthday.

[IMG]
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/294579_10150415948546075_166062760_n.jpg[/IMG]

Anyways, after dropping the new engine and tranny in, I friend with some more knowledge and I began the more difficult part of the swap with the FrSport swap guide.

So after finishing the wiring and buying a stock SMIC, we tried to fire the car to no avail. Tested many connections all showing power going to them, the car was cranking and the plugs were firing. Injectors were good, timing was set. In the end, instead of tearing my wiring harness apart I got in touch with Yuri at Wiring Specialties and picked up a new harness. After plugging everything back in it fired up first crank! This was a huge accomplishment as earlier in the year I learned how to do my first oil change hahah.

As the weather started to get nice again, rolling the car out of the garage to work on it was definitely refreshing. I was really excited to get the car back on the road and see how the swap really turned out.

Also installed my spacers and tried to get some "fitment" going on.

So that brings us to spring 2012. The car is a blast, loving the 5 speed and turbo power. Went to Stretch&Poke's Fitted Showcase in Toronto.

So over the summer I did some maintenance stuff to it. Tie rod/ends, RUCA's so I could align the rear of the car. Boost gauge and manual boost controller, Mishimoto low temp thermostat and overflow tank. I worked on cleaning up the engine bay a lot over the summer as well.

So not a whole lot changed over the summer, just enjoyed driving my project and met some cool people because of it! I put some money away and then also ended up getting a new job which pays a bit better than my last so I am planning some solid upgrades for the winter.

First of all I picked up this FMIC kit with HKS blow off for an awesome deal. I am replacing all the couplers with some new black ones.

A few weeks later I was offered this kit for a really good deal. The skirts are well loved but are FRP so I am going to learn how to re glass them and one of my close friends owns a body shop so I will have everything repainted.

So that is pretty much up to date! This winter I am redoing my exhaust. Ordering a Tomei elbow and the HKS sport catback system. I also ordered a new valve cover gasket since the exhaust side is starting to leak slightly. I am going to paint my cover while it is off and install Tomei RAS for some security. My transmission throw out bearing also started to whine to I will replace that when I remove my engine this winter as well. I am going to relocate my battery to the trunk as well as do some necessary maintenance.

Thanks for reading, let me know what you guys think

Last edited by Dylan22; 03-17-2013 at 07:44 PM..
Dylan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links