View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
oni jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey buddy,

I bought a S15 motor set back in 08' and used the 6-speed for 2 1/2 years until I roasted the clutch. I switched over to 5-speed setup because finding and installing a flywheel, clutch, trans, and driveshaft was actually cheaper than finding just a S15 replacement clutch.

The S15 comes with a dual-mass flywheel from the factory and is quiet a bit thicker than the S13/S14 flywheel. This means the pressure plates have different heights to match where the throw-out bearing should be. S15 clutches are specific, and with such a low demand new ones cost 2x or 3x more expensive than their S13/S14 counterparts.

If you plan on drifting it, keep the dual-mass flywheel with a sprung clutch, or you will be extremely sad within the first few clutch kicks. These transmissions are weak as fuck, and its only because the gears are physically smaller. No amount of the right transmission fluid or pussy-footing can change the fact that the gears themselves are smaller and weaker than the S13/S14 trans.

If you got this setup for free/cheap, turn around and sell it for immediate profit. Don't waste your time with this headache when there are far better and possibly cheaper transmission/clutch options.
oni jake is offline   Reply With Quote