View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #546
VNG704
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
VNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
You are still missing the point.

When someone gets drunk and kills a car full of kids people don’t immediately start screaming “BAN CARS! Kids should not be in Cars! Make Cars Safer! God Damn Ford getting rich off of death and mayhem”. *People are able to understand it’s not the car, but the drunk driver.

Just like when someone is speed racing and wrecks people don’t start questioning why Ford is selling 400hp cars and why dealers are pushing these environmentally devastating gas guzzlers. *The EPA is not on Ziliva secretly monitoring IP addresses looking for people doing engine swaps and modifying their cars – even though such endeavors are technically federal crimes. *And yes, the ATF is very much into lurking around on gun forms.
It was a quesiton out of curiousity. Not to start a why and why not argument. And my guess would be that atf lurks around gun forums because they are meant to be used to destroy or kill from the getgo. Not that cars haven't been used that way.
Now honest reason why someone would own 30 magazines?* Lets rattle them off.

First – Why not, ‘Merica, I can own what I want and as much as I want and it brings me joy knowing it pisses you off.
Hey, that's cool. It doesn't piss me off. Sorry to hear you get joy from pissing people off. It merely tickles my curiousity as to why someone would spend $400 on some mags at once. I'd rather buy $400 worth of ammunition. But it's your money, do what you want. The "because I can" reply, though fair enough, wasn't what I was looking for.
Second – Practical – as mentioned, some people hate reloading at a range. So I plan to spend 500 rounds*today, that’s* 17 x 30rd magazines. So if I have 3 different weapons, all using different magazines, I’d need at least 51 magazines in the advent I don’t split my 500rds.
In my original post, I said "except for the shooting range." Meaning I get that reason. Might as well get a drum huh?
Third – Fear. You have no idea how fear driven prices and buying is. As mentioned, people are raising pitch forks right now and enthusiasts are out buying up whatever they can in fear that they will never be able to buy it again. Some fear is based on laws, some on supply. When a shipment of Yugoslavia AK Mags hits the market, you never know if it’s the last… so while I only NEED 4…. I might as well buy 8.
You don't "need" 4, lol.
This has played out time and time again. I once paid $15 for 4 AK74 mags and a pouch, now AK74 mags go for ~$20 a pop. So… had I bought 50 back then, I could have easily made $750 just a few years later.
So you plan to flip 'em. This never came to mind, but it makes lots of sense.
Fourth – Collecting. There are thousands of verities of magazines for each platform. *AKs for example you have hundreds of variants, ribbed back, parked, blued, smooth backed, Chinese, Yugo, bolt stop, poly ect. Each with varies color options, plant markings, year stamps, *ect. Lots of people just want 2-3 of each and before you know it you have +400 mags. No different than collecting coins. *And when they pass another magazine ban they’ll go from being worth $20-50 a pop to $100 each.
This will fall under the cool factor, which I've said to be okay. Like people have many different sets of wheels. But like my car, I have 3 sets only because I can't find financially sound to buy any more like I can't find it financially sound to buy more than a few mags for one rifle. I guess your budget is bigger than mine.
With over 300 million guns in America and tens of thousands of enthusiast who one dozens of firearms – they are not the problem. The issue is a mental health one. There are mentally insane people in this country who once hell-bent on violence are going to carry it out. *Just like the average Mustang enthusiast or car builder is not street racing drunk killing kids waiting for their school bus.
I agree there is a trend of killers with mental issues. Maybe it should be mandatory to get a mental evaluation before the okay on buying guns. Won't stop 'em but it will help.
Thanks for the broken down answers. Consider curiousity fed.
VNG704 is offline   Reply With Quote