Thread: My SR20VET...
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #178
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by the555car View Post
Shadowman, POR-15 is awesome for suspension parts/subframes etc, but it would be expensive and time consuming to paint an entire underbody, as it comes in small cans and is brush-on (aerosol may be available but i've never used it).
I don't believe they make POR15 in aerosol cans, however it's just as easy to throw it in a HVLP paint gun and spray it on, you may just have to thin it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali-d1936 View Post
awsome awsome awsome question tho, why are the runners on the IM so long? is there any benifit of it? you wouldnt have major clearance issues if the runners where shorter from the chamber to the port.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali-d1936 View Post
^^ Cool man cheers, i never knew about that i must Read up on it, i knew there was some reasoning behind it being so long otherwise it could have been designed around the fusebox. thanks again.
The clearance issue was mainly due to the large plenum size. As stated earlier in the thread, this was Mazworx prototype manifold when they first started producing the VVL swap kits and their first "street" swap was in an S13 hatch. Obviously the S13 doesn't have a large fusebox like the S14's so it wasn't an issue for that car. Since then, they have changed the plenum size to a smaller one and it now clears the factory fusebox in the S14 bay. The runners are a billet piece and are identical among this manifold and their new design. I wasn't about to purchase a new manifold because the fusebox was in the way, so relocating was performed and it cleaned the engine bay up at the same time.

As stated by the555car, runner lengths play a large role, among other things, in manifold design. Obviously, FI cars aren't as touchy as NA cars are with manifold design, but it still has an effect. I too am unaware of the key RPM band this manifold is aimed at, but I suppose I can call Mazworx and ask or I'll find out soon enough. If I had one gripe about the manifold, it would be that the runners aren't long enough. I'd rather sacrafice some high-end power for more low-end grunt, but we aren't dealing with a large liter motor or a V8, so I'll stick with what I have.