View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #29
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
As noted by everyone, you can make a very reliable 400-500whp SR but it will take some cash and tight tolerances. Do not leave any weak links and do not skimp out on parts and labor. Find a machine shop with good reputation and be smart about your parts selection. When your building to that level every single detail counts so sit down and start writing down a wish list...then run the wishlist by your machinist/builder and get their input and go from there.

I sold a fully built SR which was spec-ed out for approximately 900rwhp....I was planning on running 600 so I wanted some safety buffer built in. Now for that same price that I paid between parts and machining labor (which was low in comparison to most people) I decided that for my personal goal a bigger motor was going to be the key. So I choose to go with a custom 2jz setup which is rather OEM in comparison to the built SR. Was the actual motor cheaper than the 2jz setup...yes. Overall has this build been cheaper than the SR....hell no and by miles. As with any build if you want reliability and power there is no exception to funding and details. Though I did not rebuild the internals of the motor or have any real machining work done the other details of my build far surpassed those of my SR. I can honestly tell you that the cost of my standalone is about 2/3 the cost of my entire built SR setup if not more. So keep in mind that deciding to go with a 2j or LS setup it takes some money in comparison. Now if your talking about building a 1000whp SR then its basically apples to apples.

I say sit down write down realistic goals then spec out what the parts and labor may cost between a swap and a rebuild and decide from there.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote