View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Huh.. Guess I didnt see this get approved. Anyways heres some more.

Around mid december I got a text from Jeff of this smurf blue slammed zenki sitting at the house... It was one of his friends who had just picked it up, instantly I knew I had to have it. Fast forward a bit, and I met the owner at KMS drift. Little chit chat later, I had talked myself into trading the KA I had picked up from Jon, for his SR out of the zenki. A week or so went by, and we talked some more and agreed on trading cars. I traded my KA and my coupe for his zenki and SR.
Pics of when I first got it home:

^My grandpa cracking himself up about the process of getting this shitbox off the trailer
Didn’t look to bad at first sight right? WRONG!!
Did I mention how much it SUCKED to get it off the trailer?

Basic rundown on parts list was decent-
Blacktop SR with Isis t28, samco hoses, koyo radiator with flex-a-lite fans, Freddy Midmount IC setup, greddy intake…
Chassis wise the car has ZX brakes, Isis RLCA’s, Tien tension rods, Nismo powerbrace, Offbrand RUCA’s, etc etc.. Lots of parts I don’t feel like listing.
So anyways, like any car I get I instantly have to tear into it to check it out, My dog absolutely loves sitting in the car while im working on it, and you’d have thought I was the worst person in the world when I took the seats out of the car.. So I threw some towels down and proceeded to keep working:

(at this point I am really bad at taking pics, but everyone knows what taking a car apart looks like)..

So the further I got into this car, the bigger of a shitbox I found out it was. I found out the total history of the car off a guy on zilvia, apparently it caught fire while drifting, so the prev owner welded a new drivers floorboard in, right over the existing rusty singed one. Little rust here and there, sheared bolts, just normal 240 dumbass owner stuff.
The motor was a whole nother story… What a heap of shit.

Just to start off, you can see the head… Chipped cam, more sludge than ive ever seen in my life, prev owner blocked off the turbo water lines, turbo oil feed line was held on loosly with 2 threads, the valvecover and head were chipped, oil return line was cut, SO much more. So I sent my head off to our engine builder to get hot tanked, decked, and have a competition 5 angle valve job. Also ported/polished the runners. $300 later, I had a brand new head:

While I was in there, I had them inspect the valves,install new OEM valve seals, and install BC titanium springs/retainers and BC guides.
So next I paid some attention to the block. Ran up to the gas station and grabbed some diesel fuel to scrub down the block because I did not want to remove the rotating assembly at the time:

After:

Grabbed a few cans of carb cleaner and sprayed the shit out of the internals.. Pretty spotless now.
So at that point I ordered a new OEM full gasket set, ARP head studs, and a few other goodies.. Started putting the motor back together, and it sits almost done currently.
Onto the chassis.. Obviously I had no intention of this car being a street car, although I may register it to drive to meets/play dates if you naw’ mean.
With that being said, I stripped the interior, took an airhammer to all the sound deadener. Within about 4 hours all the sound deadener had been chipped away and the interior cleaned with a wire wheel down to bare metal:

Primed it, and picked up some single stage white… Lady gave me the wrong color so I ended up with a pearl white which looks like crème in the shade:

Oh yes, did I mention I took on the task of stripping the harness of everything non-essential?

The job wasn’t nearly as bad as everyone makes it sound.. Just label everything.

Removed over 170 wires in total.
Relocated the fusebox under the dash… Still need to go back and shorten the wires, but I was in a rush trying to get the car done for the event this weekend, so I skipped that part. Will be doing that soon.

So I mocked stuff back up to see how it was:

Grabbed the steering wheel off the sprint car, picked up a boss hub and an NRG quick release kit… Love the wheel. Doesn’t get hot in the sun, uber light, and looks awesome.
So with most of that being done I started working on a gauge cluster/switch panel bezel:

Sprayed it with Duplicolor bedliner, so it has a nice texture, and will never scratch haha:

Oh yeah, got an oil pressure, water temp, volts (not going to use), and boost gauge off Ashibah, HKS turbo timer off Sprunt, and a Greddy Type S EBC off rixskyline. Running efans, push start, headlights, and wipers off of switches.. really all I need. Will get a strobe light kit for the highbeams eventually for shits-n-giggles.
Lets see, after that I tried cleaning the disgusting Fride recliner I intend to use for the passenger side.. But my dog kept attacking the carpet cleaner machine, which I found funny as hell:

Plan on using one of my Bride fixed back on the drivers side, picked up another Buddy Club rail off Zilvia for $100 bucks.
That about does it for interior until I can start getting stuff back in and tested once the motor goes in.
Last weekend I was bored/to cheap to buy a battery box, so I grabbed some spare sheet metal and went to town:

Made a top strap to hold the batter, but no pics. Bolted the box town in my trunk, so now im good to go for KMS rules lmao.
Oh yeah, sold the Godspeed coils to Lowell and picked up a set of Fortune Gen 4’s for a sick price from Terry at Fortune Auto (hit him up for anything you need suspension related!)

So onto the engine bay… To be blunt, the bay was super nasty when I got it… I like a clean look, so I got to work.

Filled in misc holes, and painted it single stage white:

I had tubes bent for a tube front end, but since I was trying to make KMS this weekend, I didn’t have time.. So I will go back and do a tube front sometime in the future.
Painted all the random shit in the engine bay, and left it at that… Plan to tuck the brake lines and what not eventually but its good for now.

Blasted my calipers and repainted them some sparkly blue we had in our paint cabinet. Love the way they came out, so much better than the house paint- black they were before.

Next update will be progress coming up to my first event and to present day.

Last edited by xoxide; 05-17-2013 at 09:08 AM..
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote