View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #133
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke View Post
One more thing is it to late to put this -4 in and were do u get them from. Is this a size ud recommend?
The way i read the ad, you need to remove the oil restrictor if there is one, not add it, but i could be wrong.

So yes, if you really have a restrictor and you needed to remove it, it is already too late. But i would not be so sure ... a starved turbo would have died faster than that i think. Remember how that thing is spinning at 150.000rpm and uses oil the same way your crank does: they need pressure so the axle stays floating on the bearings. No pressure = axle grinding on bearings, then developping play, and at 150.000rpm ... it DOES serious and fast damage.

Oil smoke issues now ... if you dont have a proper breathing system, your turbo will burn oil as there will be more pressure in the crank case than in the turbo housings; thus oil will go where there is less pressure, usually through the exhaust housing seal, making smoke, instead of going to the crank case.

This is a major problem though. It does not look like, but a pressurized crankcase means oil does not return there easily and can puddle in the head, leading to starvation. If you have never cleaned the breather system, it would be a good idea to do it. I know the CA18 has a nasty 90° brass bend that gets clogged, but i dont know if the rb25 also suffers from that kind of flaw. Check it.

I had a smoking problem on a 7mgte (mark 3 turbo supra), but this one was due to a cracked valve seat. It did burn a lot of oil though, before it starved the engine to death. This was discovered while rebuilding. It could have happened, but it is a bit unlikely.

Last usual cause of oil smoking is worn valve seals. The engine would smoke when down shifting, when vacuum is at its maximum.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote