View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #20
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
GTR-Garage is an unknown quantity at this point
We understand where you are coming from 240KA. I think the issue here is in the situation versus then an now. I'm assuming the other company did their group buy while D-MAX was active in the US and I'm also assuming that those floor mats came over on a container, and considering how little space they would take up that makes their transport from Japan to the US basically free.

In addition, when those previous mats were produced they may have been a part of a higher production volume. D-MAX will be charged less by their supplier the more mats they order and in-turn the D-MAX dealer will be charged less.

We are only ordering 10 sets. If it were 20 the price would go down. Unfortunately, I doubt we can get 20 commitments in a group buy for these. I can tell you for certain, however, that unless we throw a bunch of these on a container we send over, we will never be able to sell them for $220 shipped.

There is a supply and demand issue at play. However, we are not benefiting from it in terms of profit. When all is said and done we're expecting to make less than $10 per set, if that. The shipping prices I quoted were based on 5kg, which is the weight of a full-set before they have been packed for shipping. In reality the shipping weight will probably be more like 7kg.

We asked Zilvia what parts they wanted and these floor mats were one of the top requests. After crunching the numbers it was clear there wasn't much money to be made off of them unless we pushed the price way higher than what we we viewed as fair. However, we're more interested in establishing ourselves as a trusted source for these sorts of parts even if it is a zero sum outcome financially.

I hope that clears up any questions.