View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
sherlockhomeboy
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
sherlockhomeboy is an unknown quantity at this point
j30 rear axle seal/plate popped off. HELP

Hey sports,
So I drove my car the other day and pretty much just drove it down my neighborhood, and while doing so I heard a popping noise, in which shortly after I heard a piece blow out from the back of the car and went back to pick it up. After inspecting everything I found out it was the gold plate/seal thing in my driverside rear j30 axle. I also noticed that either due to it exploding out, that 3 of the 5 axle bolts where missing, either that or the bolts managed to come out on their own. Which is weird because the car hasn't really moved in the past 7 months, and when I installed these axles about 2 years ago all bolts where torqued down. I just don't see why or how it would happen now.

I've been lurking around online to see if they sell the plate/seal thing and I have been unsuccessful. Mine is warped but Im pretty sure I could spank it back in shape, however I don't know if it would be safe to just place it back in. Or would I need to replace the axle? Has anyone had the same issue? Any input would be great.

In the pics above, the gold plate/seal thing is what popped off of mine. And by chance does anyone know the actual name for it? haha

Here is a pic of what I first saw when I inspected the car, after the plate managed to pop out. Before I finished unbolting the only 2 bolts intact to the axle/diff. Anal Butters everywhere.

All I want to know is if it would be safe to try to reshape the piece and put it in, or should I just get another axle, or does anyone sell just the plate/seal thing.

Thanks!!!
sherlockhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links