View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
So... In other words, in a car that will see daily driving as well as track duty, exact tolerances would be best... and for say, a drag car that makes big power for short stints, and undergoes frequent teardowns/rebuilds; maybe the tolerances wouldn't be so critical. Is that correct?

Obviously, I am far from an expert on such matters- which is why I rely heavily on the few people that I absolutely trust... and also why I thought this may be something interesting for others in the same category.
I did not explain myself correctly:

Basically, if you are running your engine at high/ very high rpms, you need very tight clearances. but you need them everywhere: rod and crank bearings, rings, bore to piston and so on. It will also require a lot of maintenance, because these clearances must be kept tight.

If you are not trying to get the maximum power an engine can do, you can use looser clearances. Not saying that you should, but as long as you are in the manufacturer recommanded clearance, its ok.

Now there is another reason that you dont need to use nissans bearing: if another manufacturer bearing gives you exactly the clearance you need.

If you know your engine has never been reground, then you can use nissans marks on the engine block, crank and rods to get the correct part number. If you dont know, plastigauge is your new best friend.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote