View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #53
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
zangetsu1223 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmadd View Post
I drive an RB swapped s13, fully built suspension, all out, 300 whp rocket sled. I was in Iraq in 03-04 and read in one of those import mags about the swap, and decided to do it. Once it was done I started hitting events with my awesome machine and proceeded to get mopped up by guys with near stock rx-8s and s-chassis cars making half the power and way less suspension.

My point is this: I was in love with the car/motor swap. not with the skills and practice associated with actually being a good driver. Since then my mindset has shifted significantly and I am pretty decent now. If I could do it all over again, I'd have not swapped, and blew all that money on a legit racing school and track time.

When I look at your parts list, I fear you may fall into the same trap. Don't fall in love with the concept of being a drift racer. If you have a very limited budget, then why enkei rims? understand?

I bought some sweet 17x10 5ziegens and can barely afford tires, and I have a professional career. so I went to the junkyard and found some q45 mesh wheels for 100 bucks, and they're 15s so tires are cheap. and i'll drift till the tires blow up and i don't mind.

Actually become a good driver. go to events. talk to people while you save money. go to road atlanta and volunteer to be a flagger at some scca/nasa events. talk to drivers. talk to DRIFT drivers. do ride alongs. go to Auto-x. you can auto-x with an 87 Hyundai as long as it doesnt leak too bad. it will teach you the fundamentals of driving. find a mentor.

Not trying to kill your dreams, just keep you grounded. Best of luck!
dude you're not killing it, you're actually making it clearer to me because when i first started getting into this stuff..it was very vague and i dont know jack shit lol so i didnt know where to start, i looked into drag first and i realized that it does not actually make you better in driving cuz you drive in a straight line and you need lots of moolah to get that nos, supercharger and etc..anyway, i just wanna improve on driving so i could take on drifting while studying about cars..

yeah i reallly do need a mentor cuz most of my friends here dont know much about cars..

tnx 4 the service bro..it must have been tough out there in iraq..buddy of mine was deployed there too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk