View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
MikeFullBoost

Trader Rating: (0)
MikeFullBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
1991 with Silvia front clip
Sr20 black top w/ 3" apexi exhaust, intake, HKS FMIC, walbro pump and FPR, stock ecu/tune
SPL coil overs
5 lug conversion
300zx brakes
Kevlar full disc clutch and HD pressure plate
R32 front seats
Painted 05 murano blue not even a year ago, car stored in shop, zero rust and no rust or repairs prior to paint
Rear sub frame bushings
J30 rear

Ill give you some ideas.
J30 rear is the cheapest limited slip differential there is. Its not a bad thing; it just means that somebody didnt spend the extra $100 to put a real Silvia VLSD in the car. Which says something.

"REAR SUB FRAME BUSHINGS"
This raises an eyebrow. Did he actually pull out the rear subframe, burn out the old bushings, cut out the metal husks and press in fresh new bushings? because that is the high quality work you imply when you throw around a word like "REAR SUB FRAME BUSHINGS". Most people just throw in EZ collars and go. So I would find out for sure, then ask why someone would do all that work then pop in a J30 diff. Thats like spending a thousand dollars on materials and a hundred hours of sanding/priming prep work for a paint job then using rattle cans.

"5 lug conversion"
Was it from a 240 or a Silvia? If its from a 240 the components are more likely to have high mileage. 300Z brakes also says little, they could be iron or aluminum, and are they 30mm if aluminum? Does it matter? not really. But attention to detail is important when you "build a car" and change parts like that. If I found out it had the small aluminum calipers then again someone is trying to save a couple dollars here and there.

"kevlar full disk clutch... "
Again raise an eyebrow. NO NAME BRAND? Someone is trying to save a hundred dollars by using an ebay clutch? Find out the name brand. This stuff adds up.

"HKS FMIC"
If it is actually an HKS intercooler, the question again is why the name brand intercooler but the no-name clutch and cheaper diff. you have to put the clues together and figure out who did what. The present owner may have installed the cheap clutch and done a cheap paint job and put in cheap collars, where the original owner may have cared more about the car and used high quality name brand parts.

A shot of the engine bay and what/how the wiring was done will say alot more. try to get a engine bay photo.
Great post! You guys have been very helpful so far.

I have been in contact with a friend locally who used to be into the cars and he has mentioned much of what you have mentioned here.

He said the exact thing about the rear for starters. I to am hoping for more info on clutch tomorrow, from what I am gathering I am thinking its an Exedy oem replacement. Which ironically I hate my Exedy clutch in my Subaru, it's. A stage 2 HD pressure plate with LWF and its awful! I have an Exedy twin disk to go in when I do the motor this season.

Great info on brakes and 5 lug swap, I will inquire on that and on the rear sub frame bushings

Thanks again for all the help, I just want to be as prepared as possible for tomorrow

-Mike
MikeFullBoost is offline   Reply With Quote