View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #515
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
I've been slowly working on the fuel system. I currently have a huge magnafuel fuel pump, that will safely support a crap ton of horsepower, but is REALLY loud. I've never like the idea of running dual fuel pumps, and up until very recently you didn't have a lot of options. I like the idea of external because it's easy to replace, but then again it's REALLY loud:

http://youtu.be/nQu8L5aycp0

Like damn.

I'm hell bent on not using any rubber fuel line. And with all the alcohol in todays fuels that's probably a good idea. So PTFE lined fuel is really your only way to go then. PTFE is surprisingly hard to find in -10 and bigger still. Pegasus Racing has it ($27.20 per foot for -10, $34.75 for -12, $52.28 for -16; and that's with a price break for buying >5 ft!).

I stumbled upon these solid aluminum extruded coolers advertised as transmission coolers. They are advertised with a lot of different end fittings (but I'm pretty sure they all have NPT 3/4" female threads) and are in lengths of 12, 36, and 48 inches x 1.75".

The relatively flat section of floor on the S14 just happens to be about 50", and the frame rails are 2.25" deep towards the front, and 1.25" towards the rear (not tall enough, might require a little floor clearancing under the seat).

My giant fuel pump flows so much, that at lower rpm (street driving) the fuel will be repeatedly recycled through the engine compartment, so I thought the coolers would be good idea.

After seeing all of the havoc that the new alcoholic fuels are causing inside aluminum carburetors, I was concerned for a second about adding aluminum line to my fuel system, until I remembered that my fuel rails are aluminum. So no worries right?

I also have a pathological aversion to NPT fittings in fuel systems, and can't decide if I should just use NPT to AN adapters with these coolers or if I should weld on AN fittings?

What are yalls opinion on NPT fittings for fuel systems?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote