View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 05:33 AM   #79
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRaceGeoff View Post
Im slammed today but wanted to add my input briefly, hope you guys dont mind:

-first of all, every 2011/2012/2013 EFR turbo is in stock -- EFR 6258, 6758, 7064, 7670, 8374, 9180 - all available with no wait.
That's a great change!

Quote:
-Def wrote "I've seen a ton of tests pitting them against old old Garrett stuff. The few comparisons I've seen between modern turbos basically shows very very little difference between them." The test results I see dont correspond what what youve seen. Either way I can understand your skepticism, however with all due respect, I have read many of your comments regarding the EFR turbos. I truly believe if you get any real-world experience with one of these turbos you will have a more thorough understanding/outlook. Having experience with so many turbo setups on stock SR20s over the years, even just the EFR6258 on a 100% stock SR20 is (to me) an eye-opener.

-Def (sorry dont mean to pick on you) -- the change in inertia is greater than you might initially realize. We wouldnt have bothered with all this gamma-ti headache if the difference was as small as you surmise.
No worries on the picking, I appreciate your first hand input.

I'm more playing devil's advocate here as to why I have seen quite a few comparisons and even real world boost vs. time plots and the EFRs struggling to really show a difference. I know those tenths of a second here or there feel huge from a seat of the pants, it's just hard to really quantify it, and I haven't run into any EFR cars out in the wild unfortunately.

I follow EFR posts because I am genuinely interested in them, and I really hope all the theoretical benefits DO translate into a real world jump in turbo performance. I think we're past due for it, but there are a few conflicting reports... or at least there were a year or two ago. I think I've seen more positive EFR data in the past 6 months than the past 2 years. Maybe because more people are getting their hands on them.

Hope you have the time to answer this, as it's something that's a little hard to extrapolate from all the EJ2x and 4G63 EFR results:

In your opinion, what's the best EFR for a well flowing SR20DET - figure VE head for the ultimate SR head flow - for track usage.

-~450 rwhp track power level (so reasonable efficiency all across for heat reasons).
-Roughly 470-500 rwhp range on the street in "kill mode" running it off the map a bit if necessary.
-Powerband should be at least 4-8k RPM, and it'd be better if a few hundred RPM on either side is also nice and strong (so 3.7-8.5k RPM as a wish powerband).

I don't know if the 6758 has got that much oomph in it, but it's a 53 lb/min turbo, so maybe it does? Seems like it'd be awesome response... My only concern with that is I've had a horrible time keeping T25 inlet gaskets to last on track. The M8 studs creep just enough (even stock Nissan inconel ones) that the gasket starts going, then it's all over. I'm betting a TS T4 would hold up better, but I still think a v-band inlet is the easy button for reliable track usage and easy serviceability.

7163 should definitely do the power levels, but roughly where do you think an SR is going to spool it up?

BTW - I'm strongly considering an EFR for my next turbo if you can't tell.