View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #49
Nikzilla
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Nikzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Your timing could not have been -30, i think you have the timing light backwards. Most timing lights have an arrow pointing towards the plug. Does yours? If you hook the pickup on backwards, the timing will read wrong, like yours did. I do not think the engine would have idled at all with -30 degrees of timing.

If you have advanced your timing to 45+ now there is no doubt your knock sensor is pulling out timing, like yours is doing.

I always take my timing from the #1 cylinder coil pack, not the loop at the back.

You should fix the timing, and stop using that data-scan tool of yours. Do what I said in post #36 as this issue has been solved I am 99% certain. Just in case you missed it,

1. Unplug your O2 sensor
2. Find a SOHC KA maf
3. Find a 1-wire O2 sensor for $8 from a local pep-boys or auto store.

If you cannot locate the 1-wire sensor or the KA maf I will locate them for you.
Once you fix your timing your engine should run normal again. If possibly bump your fuel pressure by ~5psi to help your lean cruise out slightly.
And buy some injector cleaner just for the heck of it.
-30 means BTDC right? Not ATDC.

Do timing lights have directions? I thought the way they work is the induction loop just activates a relay that turns the light on. Direction shouldn't matter.
I have the basic $30 light from autozone. It has really good pickup from the induction loop. From what I read, the fancy digital lights have problems with the loop in the back because they are too sensitive, and the other wires interfere with them, but the cheap light works fine.

I'm going to the junkyard this Sunday, I'll get a MAF.
Nikzilla is offline   Reply With Quote