View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #24
stilettoman

Trader Rating: (0)
stilettoman is an unknown quantity at this point
I have talked with several experienced JDM tuners, and they all say that the ECUs rarely do anything strange - they work until they fail, and then just quit working. I think the characteristic of shutting down when hot is pretty typical of electronic ignition modules. The first thing I would try is a different ignition module, if you have not done that.

I only got code 55 also until someone told me to do the ECU diagnostic check before turning off the key when it acts strangely. I think the later OBD2 units do a better job of storing the faults.

I thought I had a real orphan motor, but my Nissan buddy kept looking on Craigslist here in the Seattle area, and within about two months I collected all the parts listed in my previous post plus what appears to be a really nice complete RB20 turbo, for a grand total of $250. Not a bad investment, especially now that I have two RB20s.

Didn't mention it before, but I like this motor so much I bought another R32 front clip with a RB20DET and only 35,000 miles. We have grafted this entire front clip onto the firewall of a 1948 Studebaker Starlight coupe, along with a complete Skyline R33 rear suspension -----pretty sure this will be the only one. I know this is not Zilvia related, but thought it might be of interest to Nissan fans. Hope to have it running this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ride height with 17 inch wheels.jpg (259.6 KB, 8 views)
stilettoman is offline   Reply With Quote