Thread: S13/S14 to 350Z
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #39
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZOAM View Post
I owned a '06 350Z before my S13. As a pre-cursor I should say that I live in North America so my S13 has a KA. I cant talk about the SR20 S chassis, but from my own experience, the 350 is TWICE the sports car the 240 is. The S13 is a great car in terms or its price vs. performance, but the 350Z has newer technology and a bigger engine (double KA hp and torque) which are two important features in a sports car.

I cant see the extra ~50 hp from an SR swap changing my opinion too much when in comparison to the 350Z to be honest.

People complain that its "too heavy" but keep in mind it has a fairly decent sized V6 under the hood with over 300 hp and 270 lb torque which, as another poster pointed out, is linear (on demand) power from a naturally aspirated 3.5L engine. It pulls pretty good and handles extremely well. Its also one of those cars that looks alot better in person than it does in photos. It has these really wide fender flairs both up front and in the back so you can easily squeeze in bigger wheels to accommodate any performance mods you may do. The interior is simple but very driver orientated. The biggest gauge, in the middle, is the tach with the 3 accessory gauges off to the side but also pointed at the driver for quick reading. It will be more expensive then an s chassis (its a newer car, of course it will cost more), BUT it does have a HUGE aftermarket community.

tl;dr

I had a 350 before my S13
The 350 was a great car for multiple reasons
I will eventually go back to a 350 when the time is right
WTF is this stupid shit? Of course you can't compare an s13 with a stock KA to a Z33. But an SR with mild bolt-ons or KA-T stomps mud holes in the VQ35DE. It will be very expensive to make any of the N/A VQ's keep up with the average SR or KA-T, IMO.

The Z33's chassis is far more rigid though, so its got that going for itself.

I'd pick a Z33 if I was ok with either never having over 300whp or LOADS of cash to turbo it properly. But seriously, I think that engine is junk. Too bad it wasn't the VQ30DET. That would be a different story.