View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #24
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
It's neat, though I'd think a way to do a better job would be to buy a super soft, thin, cow hide, as that looks like imitation suede fabric, not actualy leather, though I could be wrong.
Suede is leather... There is also pig suede which feels great, but it's not durable enough to use in a car... It's mostly for purse lining and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bova17 View Post
Well just an update, it looks kind of like shit starting to peel up in a few places, but I just wanted to see how long it would last.
Next time don't use the 77. The best adhesive I've been able to find is 3M 90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25s13vert View Post
i think it looks pretty good. you will regret using that fabric probably. that's a high sun area and I bet that fabric fades. even regular suede fades bad. if your planning on doing this properly your going to want to use genuine alcanara.
alcantara (Ultra-suede with a fancy name) is like $90/yd here... Real suede would be cheaper. If you're looking for an affordable option that probably looks a little better than that stuff, go to a real fabric/trim supply. The local place you can order alcantara from. Get white backed suede. It's the faux suede with a white cloth backing, the backing helps to keep the glue from bleeding through, it seems to stick better to foam than non backed faux suede. It's like $20/yd locally.

That stuff is cool for headliners and seats; stuff that is somewhat protected by tinted windows. But it will fade fairly quickly. If you just want to redo your dash and make it last. Do it in marine quality vinyl. So many grains to choose from. It looks like leather and is more durable than both leather and automotive grade vinyl that came on your dash. This is what I'll be doing my dash in. It had the least glare in the sun, out of the blacks.

This is marine quality vinyl on top of a 2000 something Porsche 911 leather seat. I'm making a dog seat he can drop in that matches his interior and seat stitch pattern.

If you know how much genuine Porsche leather is, you'd opt for this $25/yd marine quality vinyl.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote