View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #60
matts13vert
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (31)
matts13vert is an unknown quantity at this point
UPDATE!!

I've been really busy, so I just waited until I made some progress before I finally updated my build thread. Also, if you haven't seen my little feature on Speedhunters, check it out! THE CREATOR'S THEME #IAMTHESPEEDHUNTER

Everything else is written in great details below. Looking forward to seeing what you guys think of my progress. ^__^

☆ ------------------ ☆ ------------------ ☆

The end goal for this car is to be a rolling fortress of tubing and fabrication art that I call the “Spirit of Fortune." I will be fabricating every part of this car myself, from the chassis to the suspension links. I have spent countless hours on the tube designs for it to be functional, yet visually aggressive. All of the lines are pre-meditated.

In order to mount the front bash bar and lower splitter support, I needed to design a mount to attach to the ends of the frame rails. This slip joint mount is what I came up with.

It will bolt onto a receiving flange that has been welded to the ends of the forward frame rails with 6 bolts each. A cross bolt will be used to fix the bash bar and splitter support in place.

Next up was to design a bash bar that will support the front bumper. I used the recessed pockets for the position lights as the support location. The 1.5" tubing fits in nice and snug.

I have recently been working on some 2nd gen CTS-V caliper adapters. These are the final versions made of 4142 Chromoly before zinc plating. The upper knuckle whole needs to be drilled out to 9/16" to accept the 14mm bolts that the CTS-V calipers use. These are now available to purchase on our website. www.streetfaction.net

You might have noticed the upper V-mount support was missing vertical bracing to hold it up at the correct height in previous photos. So, keeping aesthetics in mind, these braces were made. I also added some simple corner bracing to the bar.

Now this part was a pain. I got it in the first attempt, but it wasn't easy. This is the 108" long splitter support, which is about to be bent 8 times with multiple rotations.

6 bends in and it's going great. Up until the last bend was nearly impossible due to the part contacting certain parts of the hydraulic bender.

The bender needed to be reverted back to manual operation for half of the bend and then back to hydraulic to finish it up.

After all that struggling, the splitter support came out perfect.

Slipped right into its respective mounts. Woohoo!

Now that the main support is done; I cut, bent, and notched the rest of supporting bracing.

Set up the TIG and laid some beads on all of the notched joints.

Some of the beads from the splitter support. Pictures are crappy.

Picked up all of my Zinc plated parts from a local shop, the finish looks amazing! The rotors will be cut later.

These strut towers are designed to sit higher than the OEM upper frame rails and position the coil over top mount .75” outward. They tie into the dash bar structure inside of the car to successfully join the front end to the rear end through the door bars.

The dash bar layout ties into the structural bulk head of the A-Pillars and triangulates into the factory structural bracing (only comes on the convertibles) above the transmission tunnel.

These are the intricately designed door bars with an incorporated Warren Truss design for strength.

The driver side has an untouched fender which allows you to see how wide of an over fender I will be making to cover the 18x11 Cosmis Racing wheels. The dark colored structural tubing on this car is A513 DOM.

The bright colored tubing is just your basic ERW Mild Steel tubing. This tubing will be used in high risk impact areas and is about half the strength of the main DOM chassis as to not transfer much of an impacts force.

The prototype 50mm wide body fender was made a few months back using sheet aluminum. A couple friends of mine helped with the shaping of it, the lines will be following those of the FC RX-7. The final version of these overs will look much different.

There’s a few hidden details in this engine bay. For example, the firewall has been swapped for a simple aluminum version which features a bead rolled step around the border and is military spec riveted into place. The removable upper V-mount support is designed specifically to hold an intercooler at just the right height within the bay. The lower splitter support is made from an assembly of tubes, but if you look closely you will notice that the main bordering tube is one piece that has been bent 8 times and still slides into the snug fitting slip mounts on the frame rails.

I came up with a removable slip-joint design for the mounting of the bash bar and lower splitter support. You can also see the incomplete castor arm mount on the frame rail made of .25” stainless steel.

Triangles are a strong shape, you can see the strut tower bracing that merges into the triangulated bracing of the dash bar.

The upper V-mount support is easily removable via four non-interlocking tubing clamps.

Due to lack of space in the engine bay, I decided to run a Tilton overhung manual pedal assembly. You can also see the custom collapsible steering shaft supported by a mount made out of an old KA24DE connecting rod. Hidden behind the steering shaft mount is a Howe 1.5:1 steering quickener.

In case you missed it in the previous pictures, the front frame rails were replaced by 2” x 4” x 3/16” rectangular tubing which is 12” shorter than the OEM rails. This was done mainly to increase to amount of crush zone in case of an accident. Not to mention the new rails are aesthetically more appealing.

If you pay close attention, you will notice that all of braces within the tube structure merge together for strength, it’s most clear within the door bar design.

Yes, that is a KA24DE sitting in the engine bay that will push 350 horses to the wheels with the help of the TD06-20g at 15psi.

In order to fit these 2nd generation CTS-V six-piston calipers, I designed some caliper adapter brackets on SolidWorks, stress tested them, and once they passed strength standards; I got them machined out of 4142 chromoly. The rotor and brackets are zinc plated black to resist corrosion.

Same goes for the rear. It’s a second generation CTS-V four-piston main caliper paired with a secondary Z32 used for the hydraulic E-brake that required a custom bracket to be designed and machined out of 6061-T6 aluminum.

To purchase a set like these, visit our site at www.streetfaction.net

☆ ------------------ ☆ ------------------ ☆

FOLLOW FOR UPDATES
Instagram: @StreetFaction
www.facebook.com/streetfactionengineering

ONLINE SHOP: www.streetfaction.net

Last edited by matts13vert; 10-23-2015 at 01:42 PM..
matts13vert is offline   Reply With Quote