View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
I tried everything from a fancy hardware and gasket setup and nothing could make the gasket survive. The nuts were actually getting hot enough to deform/creep on the sealing face. I forget how many Nissan gaskets I blew out, maybe 5? I would get 1 weekend where the nuts (OEM, fancy Grade 19 titanium, metric inconel non-OEM etc.) would start deforming, then next weekend the gasket would let loose on the first day.

This wasn't a problem until I was really pushing that little bit harder on track. The OEM stuff in my experience can handle novice/intermediate track driving, as there's enough off throttle time to keep things cooler.

So tack welding just the nut isn't going to solve the issue, you have to help support the nuts with weld between the turbine housing and manifold. It welds just fine with a MIG welder, and I've had my welded setup hold up for many years. You can still service the turbo by pulling the CHRA off the turbine housing. Don't use a gasket in this obviously, just run a bead all around. Done and done.