View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Project Well Rounded - 89 Two Tone Coupe Daily/Grip build

This project sprouted from missing my Z32 and wanting a car that could give me a shit eating grin everytime I drive it. I picked up my 89 coupe 8 months ago with a single slammer and fell in love with the chassis, but the KA wasn't in good running condition. I started thinking about what direction I wanted to go with the car and decided, why not make a car that can do it all, something that will be "Well Rounded". It wasn't much to look at when I got it. Nearly stock with 95k miles on the clock and a set of coilovers. The car has nearly flawless frame rails, pinch welds and virgin, unrolled/pulled fenders. It was perfect.

First thing I did was get rid of the steelies and throw a set of 17x7 and 17x8 FN01R-C's on it along with 5 lug swapping it and tossing Z32 brakes up front. The wider tires really bought the car to life, it was a ton of fun to hoon around in, even if a Prius could kill me in a race

The single jingle in the car ran, but wasn't great. I always felt it was down on power and eventually decided to pull it. I didn't want to throw any more money at it at the time. This was probably the worst decision I could have made, after the motor came out, the car sat for 7 months collecting dust while I tried to figure out what motor I wanted to swap into it.

A few weeks ago I made a big decision to sell the RB25 NEO swap I had been piecing together for the car. Somewhat of a double edged sword, I sold a motor that would have made the car a rocket ship, but I ended up with the cash to get the car back onto the road. Its not going to look like this for much longer.

With cash burning a hole in my pocket I got to spending. The old FN's got trade off for a set of 17x9 +15's with garbage tires. I shopped around a bit and decided on Sumitomo HTR ZIII's. A 255/40r17 to wrap my 17x9 +15 FN's. Not the widest, but the car won't be making huge power so they'll be just fine.

I hadn't really thought about how they were going to fit... The fenders aren't going to be unpulled for long. I'm going to throw a few degrees of camber up front and a degree or so in the rear to help fit them and hopefully give me some better cornering grip. They look great on the car, the deep center and meaty tires give the exact look I was going for.

Wanted to address the seats in the car, Arizona sun and head had basically destroyed them. The drivers seat had a nice metal bar that would stab you while driving that drive me insane, but fortunately I was able to score a clean set of S14 seats. A friend of mine posted them up for sale and I jumped on them, insane difference from the garbage S13 seats. Plus the look way nicer.

This car won't be a drift car. This car won't be some scene stance camber gang car. I've never really been super interested in drifting or having a car that I can't drive. I am about function and that is what I want out of this car. With my tire and wheel setup, I needed suspension to back it up.

First order of business was to order everything, here is a list of everything suspension related that will be going on the car:

Front suspension/steering:

Voodoo13 tension rods
ES lower control arm bushings
Mevotech ball joints
Mevotech outer tie rods
ES steering rack bushings
Mevotech sway bar endlinks

Rear Suspension:

Voodoo13 rear upper control arms
Voodoo13 toe rods
Voodoo13 traction rods
Voodoo13 eccentric lockout
Voodoo13 solid subframe bushings
Moog ball joints
Moog sway bar endlinks
ES lower control arm bushings
ES knuckle bushings

No corners cut is what I am going for. Dropped the subframe out a few days ago and brought it home with me. The bushings don't look all the bad, due to the low mileage, but again Arizona heat for 27 years kills anything rubber.

Now that its at my house I am in the process of installing my S15 Helical LSD. Since the car isn't going to be a drift car, the S15 Helical LSD seemed like the best option, ended up getting it from Japan for around $300 shipped Adios open diff, no more one tire fires!

While the subframe is out, I figured I'd throw my Z32 rear brakes on too. Bought new rotors and pads and I have the ebrake setup to bolt on with a set of Z32 rear hubs. Going to stick with the stock iron knuckles for now because I don't have cash for new coils, but I might swap them out eventually. I also have a 1 1/16 Z32 master and a B13 brake booster to round off the whole brake setup.

And finally the star of the show. A "New" Single Slammer! Picked up a full swap, radiator to driveshaft swap for $340. Not going to make the car a rocket ship, but its a strong motor so the car should be a ton of fun without the chance of me getting tickets or killing myself Bought a set of Nismo motor mounts, Nismo trans mount, ebay 4-2-1 header, catco cat and an HKS Hi-Power catback. Fingers crossed it doesn't sound like shit...

Tons of parts are on their way to me right now so there will be more pictures coming daily!

Last edited by tb13; 04-20-2016 at 04:54 PM..
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links