View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #184
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok so heres the deal. I went down to JDM Miami the other weekend to pick up a short block. It was about a 10 hour roundtrip but now Im making progress. Got to work on breaking down my motor.

So I had let my friend seal my valve cover while I was working on something else. He's like "oh yeah I know how to do this, you just put a little bit of liquid gasket on the corners of the half moons". I knew that you needed to fill the half moon and I should have stopped him there. Here is the result:

I was pretty angry and alone and somehow managed to pick up the block and get it on the stand by myself

my bearings

"new" block from JDM Miami

that oil return hardline (the one that meets up with the T on the valvecover) was super sharp. I walked past it and just barely bumped it

anyways, got the old block down and the new block up on the stand and started taking it apart. things were good except for the timing chain guide bolts (the allen head ones); some monkey torqued these to probably 50 ft lbs and one of them stripped

we broke off the old plastic style guide and were able to clamp on with vice grips and spin it free

then last night i started the reassembly with a new oil pump

and i got tired / called it for the night. i set my oil pan ontop but it isnt sealed

picked up some assembly lube

ive got midterms to work on today but when i wrap up im going to head back out there this evening. ill seal the oil pan and secure the chain so it doesnt come loose. then im going to take out all of my rockers, shims, and lifters and spray out my head real good to get any metal shavings out and then scrape off the gasket on the bottom. depending on how things go i may torque down the head and continue reassembly
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote