View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #27
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
Not to sound like a smartass, but thats not really close to true, just gm fanboy propoganda.

Look up the weights, sr is still lighter. For instance, when I built my sr, I could pick up the entire engine myself, I don't think you can do that with an LS

Whereas an sr requires no real modifications to get running in our cars.
You could buy a s15 sr for $3000(includes 5 speed so nothing needs modification. Add cams injectors and a tune for like $1500 more dollars, and you have around the same horsepower as an LS1. Im pretty sure you could build an SR20vet for the same price as you can swap in an LS.
So again a lot of this is hype, not that I hate the motor or anything, I just hate the whole swap every brand into "every other brand" hype thats going around.
Brands exist for a reason, if you want american muscle, buy a muscle car
You forget that the intercooler and all the associated turbo bits add a fair bit of weight to a turbo car as well, so the base weight of the engine isn't really a good basis for comparison.

I used to be a purist like you when I first got into cars, but after working for a few shops and doing events for awhile I've come to realize how ignorant that way of thinking is. Sure you can tune an SR to make the same amount of power as an LS for around the same price as the initial swap or cheaper but it will still be less reliable and has more parts to fail. The LS also responds very well to basic upgrades so while the initial cost may be high (7-8k really isn't all that much in the automotive wold) future upgrades will be cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate either engine (I actually just dropped another SR into my car last week) but for the grassroots guy who wants a mildly competitive car that is cheap to run, the LS makes the most financial sense. That's why the swap has become so popular in recent years.

The flip side of this is there are now a bunch of hoonbro fanboi kids who don't even track their car that think you need an LS and a billion hp before you can even go out to an event because "bro, that's the motor that everyone in FD runs" which isn't the case at all...
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote