View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by cured13 View Post
So, my stainless manifold will not be wrapped but I think that turbo blanket and wrapped downpipe might still be a good idea.

There is one guy that I respect for his experience (Corky Bell) that advise not to use turbo blankets if turbo longevity and reliability is important.

Does anybody have experience with having blanket on bottom mounted turbos?
high temp can ruin parts. Blankets are insulators, temp is able to get higher when you insulate. Anything can get hot and melt, a piston or a turbine can both melt. You need the insulation to keep the temp inside the exhaust system; we do not want to run without the insulation. Even the OEM uses heat shields which are ugly buy reliable and cheap to help insulate the turbo/manifold.

If temp rise becomes a problem you need to control the temp rise somehow i.e. methanol injection. Do not remove useful high quality insulation to combat temp rise; this is taking useful energy from the exhaust system which could be used to drive the turbine, and distributing it freely through the engine bay where it is lost and causes IAT to climb. Using insulators without paying attention to maximum temps is how you melt parts; Do not fear the insulation, instead, monitor and control temp rise inside the exhaust pathway. Using insulators with proper monitoring and temperature control is the correct answer.

Also I have a blanket on my T-28, wouldn't run without one. Engine bay temps/heat soak is a major issue here in Florida with these engines, I do everything I can do separate and insulate the exhaust parts from the compressor parts.