View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #10
CompleteXen
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
CompleteXen is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Ball joints are good, rack bushings are PBM solid so no movement there.

It's not skipping. Like I said, it turns smoothly. By dead zone I just mean there's a section of turning where it just sticks. If I make a 90 degree turn it starts to re-center but then just stops.

So You wouldn't waste your time on a rebuild?
I wouldn't deal with a rebuild as it would just fix the seals. Its pretty rare the teeth to wear out, but I guess it wouldn't be too crazy as these are old cars.

I struggled with the same issue on both my S13 and S14. Both different problems.

Go to a parking lot, go counter clock wise in a circle. When it recenters is it more to the left? Then go clock wise, is it recentered more to the right?

If so your issue can be one of many,

1.) The PBM Bushings are not properly seated or mounted correctly. (Make sure they are bolted down completely as the bolts on mine wanted to back off. Not too tight though as it can puncture the rack.)

2.) Although the balljoints might be good you need to just make sure the nuts on them are tightened all the way. Set the car on the ground and turn the wheel to the left and check to make sure the nut is completely tightened on the joint, then repeat the opposite way for the driver side.

If its neither of those then its most definitely the rack, but if you know the rack swapped in was a good rack then this shouldn't be the issue.
CompleteXen is offline   Reply With Quote