View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 05:44 AM   #76
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketOgre View Post
While I do get that using some neat little effects of fluid dynamics it is conceivable that you could create a lower pressure in the exhaust line than exists in the crankcase. I do not understand why anyone would consider it for more than a split second when you have a constant source of vacuum while the engine is running at the intake. I mean maybe in a crazy all motor ITB build that doesn't always pull vaccum, but FFS just get a quality catch can with good filtration and you are done. Plumb the drain hole at the bottom into the dipstick tube, or turbo return line, and you don't even have to check/drain the thing. Not that most people on here need anything more than the factory one that came on SRs.
As stated above, when you're making decent power(500+ crank) on our tiny motors, maintaining octane ratings is paramount. Since that can be directly effected by oil vapor getting ingested by the motor, it is important to minimize or eliminate it entering the motor period. Regardless of ones opinion 500hp is pretty serious power from a small displacement motor. Cylinder pressures are pretty high and any error in fueling, timing or a combination of other factors can damage the motor pretty quickly. Granted, tuning to the "ragged" edge would be for one purpose, making the most power without regard to motor life. I prefer my tune conservative so I don't have to test fuel at every fill up for octane ratings to ensure I'm not going to pop my motor.

Yes, suction at the turbo is a good constant source, but not everyone has an intake pipe, let alone a filter mounted to their turbo. I plumbed mine to the exhaust because I didn't want the contaminated oil vapor sucked into the turbo and essentially puked into the intercooler, plumbing, sensors, and eventually motor. What you're sucking out of the motor is nasty shit and it will gum things up over time.

Last edited by jr_ss; 12-07-2016 at 07:18 AM..
jr_ss is offline   Reply With Quote