View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
Jerseyzillest

Trader Rating: (0)
Jerseyzillest is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
the test may indicate high mileage, or an atmosperic blow-off was used, which continually washes the rings with gasoline and gradually lowers compression on a stock sr20 (maf). 15 years of ring washing and/or 150,000 miles will bring the compression down to 120~ cold. The oil test is clearly showing a lack of ring sealing because it obviously jumped back to OEM target range with the oil in the cylinder, which wouldn't happen if the compression was leaking via valves. If it does not smoke and seems to run normal, the plugs come out clean, I wouldn't mess with it just keep driving it gently. Use an oil pressure gauge to ensure the bottom end doesn't become garbage so it can be re-furbished (hone + new rings + valve job) in the near future, this way you avoid the machine shop and get back a nearly fresh engine. (change the engine bearings using the stamps on the block, install a new oil pump, new timing equipment, buy a honing tool and new rings, don't let a machine shop touch the shortblock). Do it in a 'clean' room.

Option B is buy a next longblock, which would cost less but obviously will give you the same 20 year old parts so selection is thin and difficult. But entirely possible.

Looks like I might have done the compression test before the engine was fully warmed up, the psi jumped ups bit and is now sitting at around 145 psi per cylinder. I'm happy with that for now.
Jerseyzillest is offline   Reply With Quote