View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 08:39 PM   #215
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
I know there haven't really been any comments since I started posting BMW stuff. I'm on the BMW forums but don't have a thread going there. And I miss this community / seeing my 240 .

I haven't been able to snap a good night-time picture of the new headlights with my iphone. I don't own a good camera.

I picked up the cheapo harbor freight heat gun (I think this is the 3rd one I've purchased now..) and grabbed a credit card and went to town on my 328i badge.

I tried using fishing line and dental floss first but the credit card (it was actually a card from some restaurant) worked the best and didnt really scratch the paint. It left a lot of the adhesive behind though. I tried my fingernail and goo gone and anything I could think of but it just didnt want to come off. Finally, I hit it with some heat and the goo gone + microfiber rag and it came right off.

There's still just a very very fine outline of where the letters were in this picture. (It has since disappeared since having the car washed).

I got a warning from the monitoring system that my oil level was getting a little low. Probably a week before that, I received a letter in the mail saying that there was a recall part for an oil line on the turbo. I stopped by the dealership to pick up a quart of their oil for a top off and they were able to take my car in that evening to replace the recall part and add oil as part of the maintenance. They always wash and detail the vehicle before sending it out, so I got a nice free wash:

I finally got my all black badges in. I ordered 3 sets before receiving the right size:

I picked up the JB4 for this particular engine and electronic waste gate (vs. pneumatic). It's a plug and play off the shelf tune. There are a few different versions of basic maps (BMS stage 1, stage 2, JB4). The JB4 has several maps, I believe 7, that you can switch between depending on the mods your vehicle has. My car is stock other than the JB4, so I am running a map that just ups the boost from 18 psi to 22 psi. This brings the car from 233hp/241tq to the wheels to 268hp/302tq to the wheels (on CA's 91 octane). A great little bump. With this device, I could also add in a catless downpipe and switch maps for another 20ish hp/tq, and even attach flex fuel wires and start running a 50/50 mix of e85.

It has been fun so far but I try to take it easy. The JB4 tune doesnt kick in until the oil reaches operating temperature which is good. I let everything get warmed up before really punching it for the time being because of a stupid design on BMW's part. The hot pipe on this vehicle is made of ABS lol. There are accounts of peoples' hot pipes breaking under stock boost. There's an aftermarket aluminum pipe that runs about $300 that I'll pick up eventually (or sooner if mine explodes).

So that's where I am at right now. There are a ton of things that I would like to do to this car but I dont know that its worth it in the end. I am putting so many miles on it that its going to be worthless pretty quickly. I did 23k miles in 2016. I think I may stay around where I am at and look towards the next vehicle. Im really eyeing the 2 series -- I had one as a loaner last year (228i mSport) and it was a blast. They recently had their LCI (life-cycle impulse, the mid cycle refresh of their models) and the 228i is now a 230i and the 235i is now a 240i. I thought it would be funny if I picked up a 240i and still had my 240sx.

Here's a few pictures of the 228i mSport I had for a couple days:

JBB is offline   Reply With Quote