View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
drifter92
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
drifter92 is an unknown quantity at this point
after my harness was all done I was ready to pull the KA and begin the real work

pulled everything apart and de-greased the HELL out of my block. 3 cans of brake clean

degreasing parts

I bought a sand-blaster specically for this build so I could have some CLEAN parts to paint before assembly.

I am using an s14 upper intake with no butterflies, and I also drilled out the metal pipes for PCV into each intake runner and welded the holes up. I also cutoff some EGR brackets and smoothed the intake edges out where the sharp aluminum cuts you when you work on it.

taking this nasty head to the machine shop
work to be done:

hot-tank cleaning
deck the head
check for warping
remove broken exhaust manifold stud
check valves and grind if necessary
replace valve stem seals
inspect valve guides
re-shim lifters
polish cams

$560 later

welded on my oil drain bung with an extension pipe to make it easily accessible from the top, and carefully placed it between my engine mount & AC compressor

cutout my bumper support to make room for the intercooler & retain strength by welding in a piece of rectangular tubing and boxing in the sides.

painted my intake manifold, valve cover, & oil pan.

checked inside my junkyard S13 ECU and it looks fantastic!

painted my engine block with some VHT aluminum color, I love the way this looks, and it sticks really well.

cleaned the threads out and installed my ARP head studs along with a Fel-Pro head gasket with some copper spray.

installed the head and torqued it all down to 70 ft/lb which is ARP's spec in 3 steps so I went 30,50,70.

cams & timing chains next.
I decided to do the 248 "hot cam" swap on this engine because I absolutely LOOOOVE the way it sounds with this setup. I have had it on 2 of my other 240s in the past.
I set it to 3 teeth CCW on the chain.

oil pump & oil pan installed with a new O-ring and a new front main seal

welded up this EGR plug for my manifold at work one day

mudflaps came in the mail, courtesy of a fellow Zilvia member... + cash of course

had to repair some murdered chassis harness wiring from the s14 ka swap they did

welded up my stock diff at work

solid subframe bushings

garage rattlecan paint job I did for the car a year ago