View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #16034
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshino View Post
In Japan, the swastika is called manji. when you type out the word on your computer, chances are the swastika symbol will come up (卍). The manji doesn't have the kind of stigma in Japan as it does in the West, and is used pretty frequently in Buddhist tradition.

In fact, if you look at a city in Japan on Google Maps – especially older cities like Kyoto or Nara – you'll see lots of manji markings where Buddhist temples are located.

The nazis specifically used the symbol with the prongs facing right, and in many cases tilted it to look like it was spinning. The symbols you'll see in Japan are almost always facing to the left. If you have trouble remembering which is which, just think (Left = Love, Right = Reich).

With all the horrific things that the Nazis did, it became hard not to associate the swastika with the Nazi's brand of terror and hate. After all, the Nazis adopted the swastika on their flag and plastered it over anything you can think of.

The swastika, in the Japanese sense, can mean a number of positive things from strength to compassion.

The bottom line is that when you see a swastika in Japan, it's not some anti-Semitic symbol; it's usually used as a positive symbol of Buddhism. I definitely understand why the swastika has such an incredibly negative connotation in the West, but the thousands of years of history that Japan has with the swastika overrides the awful associations that much of the Western world has with it.

From Hashi at tofugu.com
*Sigh* Ppl see what that want to see, i guess... smh
I never said he had swastikas on his car. I said he's got Nazi decals/livery/imagery.
I'm well aware of the difference in meanings between the left and right facing symbols.

Let's not act like Japan didn't ally themselves with the Nazis and have an ongoing racism problem to this day.
I'm not saying dude is racist... But I'm not saying he ain't either.
Personally, I think the apparent extreme fascination with war machines (shown in this car) juxtaposed against the Buddhist practices that you're trying to interject is a little odd.
Seems like a stretch to me, but whatever.
Even with the mangi reversed, given the context of the other German WWII design cues of the build, like this Nazi eagle... It's just problematic as fuck.

And aside from all that stuff... Man, look at this shit. LOOK AT IT!!! lolsmh