View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #156
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
Glad this is back from the dead, following for progress.
Sorry about the lack of content. Life's been a real coaster since the last updates.

I mounted the Walbro 400lph fuel pump. It's pretty tiny, but I'm going to give it a shot since I already have it. I also found a 2" conduit bracket that looks like it fits perfectly around the fuel filter.

I managed to trim out the last of the things that I won’t be using. I de-pinned this last connector and got rid of the ugly pigtails. To some people, cutting them down to a nub at the connector may suffice, but I love to fidget and tinker with shit and wanted to figure out how to de-pin the connectors on this car. Mission accomplished and it’s now time to start cleaning up the harness and getting things in the interior reassembled.

I’m not a huge fan of the split loom and tape look but it’s far better than bare wire, a full tape wrap, or that corrugated crap from the factory. I just so happen to have a bunch of both materials on-hand and the harness is under the dash out of plain view, so the choice was obvious to prevent further build delays. I didn’t have time to do much today, but it’s a start and I think it looks pretty decent. If I can get this interior wiring tamed I’ll be a lot more motivated to work on this thing more often. I’ll be the first to admit that I started way too many projects on this build without finishing them completely and it made me a little demotivated at times, but now is the time to finalize everything and hopefully have this car rolling under it’s own power within the next few months.

This is the body harness on the driver’s side that runs back to the harness for the rear lights and fuel components. I got halfway through wrapping this thing and realized that I had forgotten to trim the wiring for the fuel pump out and depin those leads. I knocked that out real quick and got back to chopping and screwing this thing. All finished it looks good and I’m pleased with it. It’s probably stupid to retain the SMJ for only 8 wires, but I really don’t feel like eliminating all of that at the moment and it works this way for the time being. Once the car is “finished” I plan to rewire everything with all new wiring throughout the entire car. For now I just want to see the car run.

Got busy with the dremel and ground all of the protruding screws off of the back of the fuse panel I made so that it sits perfectly flat on the dash bar mounts. I also stripped the rest of the fuel pump wiring and relay out of the dash harness. I will be running a separate relay system with more robust wiring for the fuel pump.

This is what’s left of the dash harness. I’m going remove all of the tape from the crimped joints and retape all of them with that new-new before looming everything up.

On a list of things never to do again in life, this hits somewhere near the top. Wiring work is so tedious and time consuming and I’m glad to finally have this piece of the puzzle completed.

I had a bit of time to pull the motor and transmission back out of the car. I have to get some fab work done and get some things powder coated prior to dropping the motor back into the car. This will give me time to change out the shift forks in the transmission and drop both oil pans to reapply gasket maker. After all of that I can mount the clutch and work on getting everything back in. Good vibes!