View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #83
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
Datsun 510s were called the poor mans bmw and were not all that desirable at one point in time. now look at them and the premium they can fetch. they never had 155hp and were very 'basic'. ive never driven one, but my money is they drive (in stock form) 'boring', 'uninspiring', and a 'snore fest'. (using Future's words to drive my point)

not saying this guarantees that 240s will be desirable in the future. although, I think with the hype today, it will continue somewhat into the future.
It was a different time and had a different splash though. There isn't many well built 4 door "fun cars", it was an ushering of an era that is longed for still (but I would still consider it a niche community).

The 240sx is kind of a launch in the hey day of 2 door "enthusiast" cars. It has a good bit more competition in it's age range, especially being it was during the hay day of Japanese sport cars.

I don't have a horse in that argument either way though. I think the 240sx will be inflated / sought after, but I don't put it far in line with other cars that are truly "collector" vehicles. Many of those were produced in far lower numbers and had a far larger cultural impact. Not that the s-chassis didn't / still doesn't have a splash, it's literally my favorite chassis of all time and I am completely bias since being in my first one in the mid 90s, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
S-Chassis w/KA is a VERY different car than S-Chassis w/SR20det

still to this day, any time i drive an S13/S14 with a KA... it just never feels right. i remember when i did my first SR swap back in 2003, the car felt SO much better to drive with 210hp instead of my stupid single cammer slammer. for the first time, my S13 actually felt RIGHT.

I will agree with DorkiDori here though, I think the sought after ones will be properly restored/ clean s-chassis with mild mods. Stock just isn't going to cut it unless we are talking about a showroom spec 2 tone coupe or Lavender or something. A mildly built and well executed SR 240sx will be the "grail" IMO, just from a purist/ enthusiast standpoint and with the combined cultural splash of the SR motor.

I will say though, I somewhat miss the nostalgia of running KAs hard until you could afford a SR swap. I think it made us appreciate and value the SR more and more once we got them lol. I believe it was Matt Panic ( I could be wrong) yeaarrrsssss ago that use to compete with a NA KA and he drove it like a MAD MAN.