View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #22
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Ahhh the main reason I got rid of my Zenki... aside from the shitty sunroof trim moulding.

IIRC, the issue seemed to only affect Zenki and not koukis from the last time I broached this topic.

Have fun with this one, guys.
I’ve seen the theory, but like FaLKon240 below, I have known kouki people it affected too - so I don’t think the theory of it being a Zenki issue only is completely true. There is another theory that the crack is caused by bad subframe bushings causing the subframe to bounce / put pressure on the tank. Maybe there is some validity to that? Would be interesting to see if someone with solid or poly bushings experienced the problem after replacing the bushings.

The real issue IMO is that Nissan used plastic. It was stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
I’m around 250,000 miles on chassis with no issues at all (95 Zenki). Why not just go with fuel cell?
Fuel cells are not cheap (at least for safer and reputable ones), not super easy to hook up, and simply unsafe for a Daily or a street cruiser. A rear end collision could be disastrous, You def have to fabricate a firewall and cage/ tube the trunk area to guarantee the safest fitting. You also lose trunk space, lose capacity in many cases, and lose simple stuff like fuel gauge readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
I just picked up tank #3 yesterday. I have a 98...
Sigh. Friggin Nissan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
All the tanks are the same spanning all years.
Laurels,R33/34, etc all share the same tank. Who knows with Nissan replicating old parts for Skylines maybe will see an updated tank for us S-chassis folks.
Nissan today cares very little (re: not at all) about us. I can’t see that happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser101 View Post
Should start a gofundme fund to make injection molds of the gas tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Wasn't someone recently having a hard time giving a good one away? A real shame if that went to the trash. Anyway, only thing I can think of is a custom made metal one. Shouldn't be that hard for someone with experience. As long as it's seated properly, the rest should be easy.
To answer both of you - I once floated this on a local board a few years back. I thought it would be simple, doesn’t sound hard right? A dude that I know has extensive knowledge of fabrication and meta engineering chimed in and apparently it’s actually a seriously difficult process and would be insanely costly. I don’t remember the reasons, but gas tanks are apparently much more complex than one initially thinks. I thought of a go fund me up until his super detailed response, and I realized it was incredibly unlikely it would ever happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryosuke Takahashi View Post
Maybe this fuel tank problem is a blessing indisguise. If a fuel cell was installed in the trunk. Wouldnt that extra space where the OEM one sat create more clearance to further raise the subframe?
Definitely a positive aspect. I just feel like there are several negatives as well, and not sure it justifies it fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Typically would crack just above the banding strap for the tank.

I cut into my back seat to get to it and plastic patched it when mine cracked.

A good fix (when it works), but definitely a band-aid. Still thinking cell is the best “permanent” route, but ugh. I really am thinking about doing the pesky subframe pull just to get mine coated in rhino shield while it is still mint, and see if that ends up making a difference in the long run.