View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #56
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
we never have this problem over in England with our 'euro-spec' s14's
the s15 tank is the same but the hose connections on the 'lid' are different on an s15 as the fuel hose are plastic so it has push on and click style connectors. also the fuel pump plug on the 'lid' is different to an s14 one.so your s14 loom wont plug directly into it.

maybe see if cars that have lived in not so hot climates for longer periods of time suffer with bad tanks. it pretty much never gets over 30 degree Celsius over here.
I don't think there is any real difference between the tanks. I wouldn't be able to say what of my friends over the last 15 years have had it happen, I would probably surmise that your absence of problems is due to people not really talking about it much. I could however be incorrect, not trying to insinuate that you are a liar by any means.

It could be other things, our cars probably stack mileage up faster in the states, but there are plenty of cooler climate regions in the US and people still have these problems. The tanks are no different from US -> JP -> EU as far as I know.

FWIW, my s14 I am the second owner of and have owned for well over a decade and it hasn't been a problem even at 2xx,xxx miles. But I know that it is inevitable as, well, plastic sucks butt and will eventually rot. That is the nature of the beast. I started this thread due to I tend to forward plan things, and noticing the absolute scarcity of new tanks figured it was a discussion worth having now to help people circumvent the issue going forward.

I do agree with ixfxi though, I think the only real legitimate option is fuel cell, it just isn't a perfect option unfortunately. I am very curious to see if I rhino coat mine will it have any real affect on the durability. I plan to replace my bushings soon in the subframe, so I think as I tear down the car, I may drop the tank and have it coated for science.