View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 11:52 PM   #52
Suprareal
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Suprareal will become famous soon enoughSuprareal will become famous soon enoughSuprareal will become famous soon enoughSuprareal will become famous soon enoughSuprareal will become famous soon enough
Suprareal's S13 FB build (sr20det eventually)

It just so happens we did the tub work 6 years ago down to the month as I start this new front end. Not planned!
If it were possible to replace the frame rails without chopping off the tubs completely I Probably would have done it.
My frame rails were tweaked just until the very end of the rear subframe bolts making the job just that much harder since the subframe will need to be remounted. Lots of measurements !
I ended up chopping just a inch past the rear subframe bolt. The strut bar and lower bar are in place to keep anything from shifting.

For the frame rails I’m using 1.5”x3” tubing. This will slide into the stock frame rails like a sleeve after shimming one side with 1/4” plate

You’ll see here the 1/4” plate shim. This makes it possible to weld both sides of the frame rail thru the old in a spot weld fashion.
I could have gotten away with using a 2”x3” tube and forced it thru but chose not to.
The new frame rail sleeve in nearly all the way into the old frame rail while the shim plate is only 6”
My thinking is if I do crash the car again it’ll create a weak spot that’ll bend again if not time for a new shell at that point.

Tons of measuring, mocking up, clamping down, measuring, tacking, and measuring before fully welding down
The holes for the subframe were drilled before welding everything in place to ensure proper fitment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suprareal is offline   Reply With Quote