View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
bad experiences
Yeah the trick is finding a TRUE machine shop that is good at their craft and not someone with a bunch of equipment they don't know how to use.

It helps to know people. Rule of thumb in my group is, if we walk into a 'machinist' to talk work and you could eat off of the floor, walk away. It seems counter intuitive but all of the machinists I have had good experiences with are so backlogged with legit work they can barely get through their shop. The guy who worked my KA shortblock is like that and my brother in law sends 2-3 sets of EJ heads through him every month (he's a mechanic that rebuilds/sells Subies on the side.)

To echo your sentiment, my buddy bought a notchtop SR back in the day. PO had blown it with an SAFCII. First machine shop bored his cylinders out of round somehow.

It's becoming harder and harder to get a good legit reference for a real machinist the way things work today. Gotta find a good local group of guys, engine make model aside, that have had actual work done or do actual work like you're looking for. I'll take real-world tangible results first-person over speculation any day. A lot of the old dudes who are masters of their craft at this don't even advertise online; they don't have to. Their customers keep them in enough work, why waste the time?

And I accept your challenge on the 20k mile built KA. at 5k now and going strong.
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote