Thread: nice watches
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #248
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
If only you all knew how much some of those watches cost to make...

It's hard for me to buy watches because I had a short run of them made (few hundred piece run, no shared design parts with other watches, had to have a custom die made) and I know how much it costs to have a watch made in China, Switzerland, and in the US.

The factories I toured make watches for people I considered my competitors. I saw their quality first-hand and got quotes from them. I also got to see some, ahem, unauthorized reproductions of luxury brands and the finishing work was impressive.

Chinese quality has come a long way; I'd wear a Seagull 1963 almost as often as I wear my Hamilton Intra-Matic Auto and the case finishing on both is better than my Longines HydroConquest USA Edition (which was a gift; I'm not at the $2k watch give-a-shit level).

I'm currently wearing a Timex Q Reissue on a Martini band. Haven't found the perfect beater auto yet.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote