Thread: Motor Oil Tests
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #38
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
This thread really makes me want to fix my leaky valve cover gasket and change my oil / intervals, mostly because im lazy...but I change frequently because I definitely have that "oil is the blood of your engine, the fresher the better" mindset.

Also, filters. I used to check up on bobistheoilguy once and a while, and people seem all over the place with answers. I currently run the Purolator Boss PBL20252 on my KA (Which ive ran for 5 years now) and never had any issues. Should I change to something else? Or..
Depends. From what I can tell purolator boss filters are 35 micron absolute, which is pretty good, but not the best on the market. Fram Ultra and Amsoil are 20 micron absolute. "Absolute" refers to their 98.7% efficiency in a multi-pass test, and they will trap particles smaller, just at a lower efficiency. From what I've read particles under 20 micron are too small to cause wear. How much of a difference the filter makes is pretty hard to tell though, as no real long-term studies exist.

Also keep in mind that your air filter is a huge factor in how clean your oil is. If you have some chicken-wire air filter on your setup, then you best make sure your oil filter is up to par, because there's going to be shit in your engine that you don't want, haha. From what I can tell, Amsoil and Injen both have their "nano-web" filters that actually filter well while being high flow. Plenty of "high flow" filters on the market that are basically just screen doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240KA View Post
oil filters were hard to keep track of for me - not worth the time to keep up with them as far as which one is currently the best one, i mean i'll check out the oil filter section once in a while. cuz one day they'll say Purolator One is the best value for the price, but then next day someone will post a picture of the insides and everyone else would say it looked bad or that it was torn. so i stick with wix xp or fram ultra, mobil has been around for a while so it's probably still a good filter but i don't need to be following all these different filter companies :P
either way any of those filters will easily handle 15,000 miles of daily driving, and eaaaasily 3k-5k of track driving. sounds crazy, but from what i've read, i feel comfortable doing that with those synthetic filters.
if this KA is just a daily put put car, then you don't need to worry one bit about a filter. even the normal wix and orange fram or the middle fram (tough guard i think) will be just fine.
I can't seem to find absolute micron ratings for the Wix filters, which is a little annoying. Yeah BITOG is cool but there's plenty of penny-pinchers and anecdotal espouse'rs on there, so it's hard to wade through sometimes.

Track driving is a special case, and you may want to switch to a non-bypass racing filter for track days. High-flow racing filters offer some filtration (usually in the 30-50 micron absolute range) at all times, versus standard filters allowing the bypass to open at 3-4k rpms, which means very little oil is going through the filter and most is just going around. This is something that you have to weigh the "risk" and decide for yourself which is best. I plan on testing some standard and racing filters to see if they really have different pressure drops.

Another thing, if you're running a 13/16-16 oil filter relocation mount, you can run a 2-quart racing filter (if you have the room), which adds capacity at the track, and may be another advantage.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote