View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #23526
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
Progress update, so it turned out to be a bad coil pack after all. I did inspect my valvetrain and all was good, I took the opportunity to clean up the valve cover a bit from oil stains.

When I bought the car the previous owner gave me 3 spare coil packs, it turns out 2/3 were bad. When I did my initial diagnosis I unknowingly swapped the broken coilpack with another broken one. It wasnt until the very end when everything was put back together after running the live compression test that I noticed the misfire moved to cylinder 4. I swapped coil packs 1 and 4, and problem moved to cylinder 1. I dug through my stash and kept swapping between the spares and cylinder 1 until the misfire went away. The car idled with 4 cylinders.

HOWEVER, and this is something new, when I went around the block for a spin, the car misfired really badly around 3k when I hit boost. At this point it could be a couple of things, so for my sake Ill be pursuing the Z33 coilpack upgrade as a safety precaution.

Thanks to you guys for helping me along!
How long did you drive it for? Did it backfire once or did the engine start breaking up when you hit boost? Did it do this every time the car saw boost or was it an isolated thing?