View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #11
TollieLifted
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
TollieLifted is an unknown quantity at this point
Been a minute. Projects around the house have kept me busy and taken up a bulk of my free time.

Anyhow, little update.

Since last time I have picked up another KA to swap in because I want to drive the car while i SLOWLY rebuild the motor. Spins freely and the oil looked ok. Came out of a an auto car with supposedly like 50k miles (not sure i believe that). Every connector was cut so thankfully i have all that laying around from my original KA.

Got the driver side motor mount cut off which was a PITA but good to have that done so the bay is "ready." Still not where i want it to be but oh well.

Took my rear control arms and hubs to work to press out the ball joints and wheel bearings that desperately needed replaced.

I put the rear back together and swapped out all the rear arms so i could get the damn thing off stands and rolled out of the garage. This is when I came across an interesting issue- after measuring the OEM arms and adjusting the new to match I cannot get the coils to line up on the perch...the OEM strut slides on just fine but the BCs would be bound up if i bolted the top and tried to slide them on the perch or vice versa. Maybe an arm was mismeasured or something? I double checked each one but I guess it could happen. It's like the knuckle needs to move back. I threw the OEM struts back in to get the car out of the garage. Any ideas? Once the motor is in i will pull it apart and investigate further. I just needed it out of the garage so I had room.

Edit: It occurred to me last night as I was walking through the grocery store- of course the coil wont line up when it is adjusted like 5" shorter than the OEM strut. The geometry of the suspension is different when lowered like that so OEM specs would go out the door. I think I will adjust the arms as needed to get the coil to seat properly and check alignment after that. Sounds reasonable, no?

Last edited by TollieLifted; 06-04-2021 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: dumb person doing dumb things
TollieLifted is offline   Reply With Quote