View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 08:52 AM   #25
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
South Korea
Taiwan
Singapore

places that have great health care and low cost.

Taiwan especially, the out of pocket costs are cheap, even the cost of doing an MRI on your own is a miniscule percentage of your income versus in US/Europe.
My FIL went back to Korea to get his lymphoma treated for that reason. The care was more 'bare bones' and assembly-line like by US standards but every bit as effective and far less expensive even having to pay more OOP because he hadn't paid into the system in decades. This kind of medicine in the US suffers from the same problems that Corbic sees in education - when costs are covered by expensive insurance policies, just like colleges are paid for by jumbo student loans, they're incentivized to make care more expensive and luxurious and push for more and more-expensive testing because this boosts profit, but it doesn't improve health!

Now, of course those places have other problems, back to the point of the thread there's no way in hell I'd want to work for a Korean company. But I could definitely see myself retiring there if I could subsist on my savings from working in the US and perhaps remote side work.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote